BRADENTON -- Burglars stole change and partially burned a Manatee Avenue laundromat early Friday, shutting down the 50-year-old business during its busiest season.
At about 6 a.m. Friday, firefighters from West Manatee Fire and Rescue responded to a call at Fairway Laundry at 5243 Manatee Ave. W. When they arrived, they found a number of clothes driers and other machinery in flames.
Jim Davis, a deputy fire marshal with the fire service, said firefighters quickly doused the flames. But what they found when the smoke cleared shocked him.
"I was kind of surprised when the first-in officer told me that several of the machines had been broken into," Davis said.